- Parallels Desktop for Mac Business Edition
- Parallels Desktop for Mac
- Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition
- Parallels Desktop Lite
I am not able to migrate my Windows 8 or Windows 7 PC into a virtual machine using Parallels® Transporter™. Migration fails on detecting the operating system type.
Parallels Desktop supports migrating computers with GPT partitions and EFI/UEFI starting from version 10. Parallels Desktop 9 and earlier do not support migrating computers with GPT partitions and EFI/UEFI.
To determine whether your PC is using BIOS or EFI/UEFI please follow the steps below:
- Start your PC.
- Go to Start > Computer
- Navigate toC:\Windows\Panther\setupact.log.
- Search for this string:
- Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment:
It should tell you whther the boot environment is BIOS or UEFI:
Code:Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment: BIOSCode:Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment: UEFI
In Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, if the setupact.log file is missing in the Panther folder, you can check the Boot Environment using the following steps:
- Press Win + R > typemsinfo32 and press Enter.
- Look for the BIOS Mode
- If the value listed is Legacy, then the Boot Environment is BIOS, otherwise the respective Boot Environment will be listed